J. Harvey, RT(R), Ph.D., C&IS Department,
Health Care Informatics Concepts Page
Relevant RMU Courses:
· INFS1030 Introduction to Health Care Informatics (required for undergraduate (BSN) nursing program)
· INFS3440 Health Care Information Systems (required for IS/ISM Health Care Systems track)
· INFS6440 Advanced Health Care Informatics (required for graduate nursing program)
Contacts in C&IS Department:
Donald Caputo, Ph.D., Valerie J. Harvey, R.T.(R), Ph.D., Peter Y. Wu, Ph.D.
· Digital Imaging and Communication in Medicine (DICOM) See http://medical.nema.org/dicom.html
· Health-Level-7 (HL-7) See URL http://www.hl7.org/
· ISO/TC 215 Health Informatics
· National Library of Medicine (NLM) Unified Medical Language System (UMLS) Thesaurus - See URL http://www.nlm.nih.gov/ (link to Research and then to UMLS)
References and Resources:
1. [AAM1998] ”Contemporary Issues in Medicine: Medical Informatics and Population Health (Medical School Objectives Project 1998)” (Association of American Medical Colleges), URL: http://www.aamc.org/meded/msop/msop2.pdf
2. [AMI2005] , National Health Information Infrastructure (NHII) – “The Collaborative Response to the ONCHIT RFI,” URL: http://www.amia.org/pdf/rfifull.pdf
3. [AUS2003] Charles J. Austin and Stuart B. Boxerman, Information Systems for Health Services Administration, 6th ed. (AUPHA/HAP, 2003)
4. [AUS1995] Charles J. Austin and Stuart B. Boxerman, Quantitative Analysis for Health Services Administration (AUPHA/HAP, 1995)
5. [BAL2000] Ball/Hannah/Douglas, eds., Nursing Informatics: Where Caring and Technology Meet, 3rd ed. (Springer, 2000);
6. [BUS1997] Stewart C. Bushong, Radiologic Science for Technologists: Physics, Biology, and Protection, 6th ed. (Mosby, 1997).
7. [EFF2002] Judith A Effken and Barbara Carty, “The Era of Patient Safety: Implications for Nursing Informatics Curricula,” JAMIA 2002, 9 (Nov.-Dec. Supplement): S120-S123
8. [ENG2002] Sheila P. Englebardt and Ramona Nelson, Health Care Informatics: An Interdisciplinary Course (Mosby, 2002)
9. [GOO2002] E. Goorman and M. Berg, “Modeling nursing activities: electronic patient records and their discontents,” Yearbook of Medical Informatics 2002 (International Medical Informatics Association (IMIA/Schattauer, 2002), 358-364.
10. [HAN1999] Kathryn J. Hannah, Marion J. Ball, and Margaret J. A. Edwards, Introduction to Nursing Informatics (Springer, 1994) [RMU Libraries 610.730285 H243i]
11. [HAU2002] R. Haux et al., “Information Processing in Healthcare at the Start of the Third Millenium: Potential and Limitations,” Yearbook of Medical Informatics 2002 (International Medical Informatics Association (IMIA/Schattauer, 2002), 187-193.
12. [HEB2001]T. Hebda, P. Czar, and C. Mascara, Handbook of Informatics for Nurses and Health Care Professionals, 2nd ed. (Prentice Hall, 2001)
Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) site – URL: http://www.himss.org/ASP/index.asp
- See links to:
“Advancing the State of Data Integration in Healthcare”,
“Using Innovative Technology to Enhance Patient Care Delivery”,
“Patient Safety & IT”
14. [HIP2005] HIPAA Summit 2005, URL: www.HIPAASummit.com
15. [KAP2002] B. Kaplan and N.T. Shaw, “People, Organizational, and Social Issues: Evaluation as an exemplar,” Yearbook of Medical Informatics 2002 (International Medical Informatics Association (IMIA/Schattauer, 2002), 91-102.
16. [NHI2005] HHS National Health Information Infrastructure (NHII), URL: http://aspe.hhs.gov/sp/nhii/
17. [SAB2000] Saba/McCormick, eds., Essentials of Computers for Nurses: Informatics for the New Millenium, 3rd ed. (McGraw-Hill, 2000)
18. [SAW2004] Steve Sawyer, Andrea Tapia, Leonard Pesheck, and John Davenport, “Mobility and the First Responder,” Communications of the ACM 47, 3 (March 2004): 62-65.
RMU library resources, especially in medical informatics; relevant Dewey classifications 025.0661, 362.10285, 610 (various locations), 616 (various locations), government documents, assigned periodicals.
Faculty Scholarship, Presentations, Research, and Projects Relating to Health Care Informatics
Digital Imaging and Information Technology in Radiography - Resources
As of 02/05/2005